Monday 15 January 2018

You know, for kids!



This is not a rant about the good ol' days.




I am guilty of having read and watched tons of garbage (together with some pretty good stuff).

I gravitated towards narratives which had clear cut characters or conflicts (like good vs. evil).

Countless episodes or issues in cartoons and comics I loved were patronizing, pandering, schmalzy or conciliatory.

(not books though. Never read much kids lit.)




However, the things I always responded to in a story were:




1) a strong obstacle (be it an antagost or a situation) which had to be WORKED AGAINST, and with some effort.

2) relatable, recognizable, understandable BEHAVIOUR.




I understand the desire to promote role models, especially in stories aimed to a young audience.

I took some of the fictional characters as role models of courage, integrity, intelligence, coolness myself. From MacGyver to Peter Parker.

And I understand these were largely unrealistic characters either in skills or attitude.




So this is not a plea for totally realistic characters in fiction either.




However (again), what is the use of children stories where nobody ever gets mad, offended or nasty?

Where kids never lie (if only out of fear) or try to get even after being mistreated?

Where no real efforts have to be made to reach goals.

Where failure never occurs?




I suppose we want to present an ideal picture of the world to kids, but what about being honest about how the world and people actually are?




To present stories devoid of realistic human emotions and behaviour (even when not exemplary) is not only dull.

Is downright irresponsible.

No comments: