Monday 14 January 2019

The Impeccables

This is the laziest post I have ever come up with.
It's just a list. 
A list of artists.
Of comic artists.
They didn't necessarily create or illustrated my favourite comics, but all of the following did comics.

I wanted to create a list of great comic book artist (and to back me on the importance of lists I can summon none other than the great late Umberto Eco
Pure illustrators are not allowed in this lists.
They have to have done comics, and I'm not talking about a few, but an appreciable body of work in sequential art (either daily strips, comic books or graphic novels).

The following are not necessarily influential authors (though some of them are).

I wanted to include artists who:

  • are not merely "good", but rather the creators of pieces I love to behold (I'll admit that the list is largely based on taste).
  • are consistently good, or at least never sub-par.
  • I consider versatile (some excellently so, while other stay in their comfort zone) they can draw anything.
  • are solid draftspeople, with a very clear personal voice.


Some much beloved people are missing from my list, but this list is not a list about IMPORTANT artists.
This list is about DRAWING.

In my eyes these are the COMIC artists that you should look at if you want to see how to draw.
I do not consider this list definitive by any measure.
I will expand it and possibil leave someone out in the future.

But for my money, as of today, they are the best.

I call them "the Impeccables".

(here in strict alphabetical order)

Al Williamson
Albert Uderzo
Alberto Breccia
Alex Maleev
Alex Raymond
Alex Ross
Alex Toth
André Franquin
Antonio Barreti
Attilio Micheluzzi
Bill Sienkevich
Bill Watterson
Brian Bolland
Cam Kennedy
Corrado Mastrantuono
Dave McKean
David Mazzucchelli
Dino Battaglia
Eddy Campbell
Ferdnando Tacconi
Frank Cho
Gabriele Pennacchioli
Giorgio Cavazzano
Ivo Milazzo
J H Willliams III
Joe Kubert
John Buscema
Jon J Muth
Jorge Zaffino
Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez
Leonard Starr
Manfred Sommer
Massimo De Vita
Michael Lark
Mike Mignola
Milo Manara
Milton Caniff
Moebius (Jean Giraud)
Mort Drucker
Nicolas De Crecy
Noel Sickles
Paolo Euletieri-Serpieri
Serge Baeken
Sergio Toppi
Tobias Schalken
Walt Kelly
Winsor McCay

To follow, some honorable mentions, people I would have included but did not make it for "technical" (rather than merit) at this first round. I may decide to include them further.

Adam Hughes
Alfonso Font
Bill Wray
Bob De Moor
Bruce Timm
Edgar P. Jacobs
Gigi Cavenago
Jack Davis
Jordi Bernet
Riccardo Mannelli
Victor de la Fuente


To conclude, these are artists I've been suggested to include, but I nstill need to review properly (I know many of them, but not so much to consider them "impeccables")

Bernard Krigstein
Bernie Wrightson
Chris Samnee
Dan Speigle
Esteban Maroto
Goran Parlov
Guy Davis
Harvey Kurtzman
Hergé
Hugo Pratt
Jack Kirby
Jamie Hernandez
Jeff Smith
John Dixon
Johnny Craig
Mort Meskin
P. Craig Russell
Paul Gillon
Paul Grist
Pete Morisi
Rutu Modan
Steve Rude

I realize right now that this list does not include one single female artist, nor any cartoonist from Japan.

No comments: